MC 4.6.2 on FreeBSD 8 - how to hide tabs??

Hi,

In last versions of MC I faced a very irritating thing - it started to
visualize TABs and SPACEs. Most annoying thing is that there is no way
to disable this directly, using UI.
After some googling, I found the solution. To disable I add lines to ~/.mc/ini:

editor_visible_tabs=0
editor_visible_spaces=0

and before now it was working on my ubuntus and most FreeBSD servers.

Today I got an ssh to a FreeBSD server 8.0 with MC 4.6.2 which looks
insensitive to this settings - mcedit displays tabs and spaces hiding
cursor and making editing hard as hell.
(I use Gnome Terminal)

Any ideas how to disable this?
Should I provide additional information?

Thanks