Re: Copy process over hardware failure is endless

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, wwp wrote:

To: mc gnome org
From: wwp <subscript free fr>
Subject: Copy process over hardware failure is endless

Hello there,

I'm trying to copy the contents of a disk to another. The source disk
shows ext3 fs problems due to hardware failures, and the copy process
within mc is endless. Copying from or to a broken disk layer is
something I always avoided from within mc because of this behaviour.

In /var/log/messages I'm getting tons of:
Sep  7 14:48:03 monolith kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
Sep  7 14:48:32 monolith kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sdd] Sense Key : No Sense [current]
Sep  7 14:48:32 monolith kernel: Info fld=0x0

I'm not asking for mc to fix hardware problems, but is there a way to
tell it to give up when it's stuck in such endless error-retry loop? Or
maybe it's not mc but the low-level functions that are responsible?

Pressing S for skip or A for Abort will never skip/abort, and I would
like mc to copy as many files as it can, if possible it could ignore
errors after few retries and give a list of skipped files at the end of
the process?

Any thought?

GNU/Linux Fedora 11, kernel

F11's GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.2:
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, smbfs, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 8

Sounds like you need to run a disk repair program first. That should do the necessary repairs if possible, and copy any files it can save to another location.

Fedora should come with testdisk.

TestDisk is OpenSource software and is licensed under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL).

TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk can

    * Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
    * Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
    * Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
    * Fix FAT tables
    * Rebuild NTFS boot sector
    * Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
    * Fix MFT using MFT mirror
    * Locate ext2/ext3 Backup SuperBlock
    * Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
    * Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3 partitions.

TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

[root]# yum list *testdisk*

Keith Roberts