Re: Mc Digest, Vol 61, Issue 1

mc v 4.5.55 shows  strange bug.
===============================

file  /2dest/c.l.4th locks mc for F3 or  F4
but allows the same file renamed [to 'dog'].

This happens also when I copy the original file to other dirs.

My partial 'pstree' shows:

`-su---bash---mc-+-bash
                 `-mcextYXx2Za---nroff---groff-+-grotty

  which, I think, shows that mc spawns bash & mcextYXx2Za;
which spawns roff---groff-+-grotty  ??

and when I 'kill' the parent-pid of mcextnhTdHc, this frees the VT

BTW I have to use pstree & pgrep to find the pid of the problem,
because I've lost the name of the graphic 'ps-family' utility
which tabulates the pids with their names and numbers etc.
What is it ?

------------
I'm guessing that the file-name/extention is causiing *off* to be called,
which starts the problem.

Except that 'this' file too is named 'c.l.4th' &m it's ok; so only the
original file with the name 'c.l.4th' is problematic.

There's no problem to: cat  /2dest/c.l.4th
 but to mc > <F3> or <F4> causes the VT to hang.

I haven't tried re-booting 'cos I'm not a M$ user, and we don't do that.

== Chris Glur.

PS. <F9> / c / f = findFile with 'contents'
is very useful when it works.
I needed to find the file containing "23:26:25"
in a small dir. mc failed, but cat <theFile> | grep '23:26:25' found it ?