Re: mc efficiency

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, zhang zhengquan wrote:

To: mc gnome org
From: zhang zhengquan <zhang zhengquan gmail com>
Subject: mc efficiency

Dear mc users:
I have been using icewm with file manager rox-filer for years and now
I find rox-filer not a very efficient.

Efficiencywise, could you please compare a competent mc user and a GUI
file manager user?

I am considering to a console based commander in hope of increasing my
efficienty in managing my files.

Thanks and Regards,
Zhang

The nice thing about mc is that it has a consistent look, whether you use it in CLI text mode without a desktop running, or use it in a shell running X and a desktop :)

Running under Fedora, I do need to change the default font, to get the proper colors for files and directories. Otherwise directories look the same as normal files, and highlighted items look a rusty red color.

I do this with:

[root]# setfont lat1-16

And then to make the change permanent fire up mc and edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n file to the following value:

SYSFONT="lat1-16"

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: