Re: Mc Digest, Vol 64, Issue 10

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:20:05 +0200
chris glur <crglur gmail com> wrote:

Yes ok, I supose it does become a problem as file
sizes increase.  Since we've still only got 10 fingers,
and 26 letters and decreasing intellectual output, I see
little reason for files to increase.  Except if they
encapsulate mult-files or are big data-sets.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. I've got *many* files
around 700Mb (avi films) and for example it's good to know at a glance
if they're just under 700Mb i.e. if they fit on a CD. The 21Gb file
example was a Virtual Box image.

A more important/necessary use of ls is to see it 2 files
are EXACTLY the same size, than rounding [ambigiously] to K.

Ok, but if the human output for sizes were an option, one could just
leave it disabled.

I think you already KNOW that/why extensions/mods have potential
problems. google: Design by committee ? Parkinson's law/s ?

Honestly, it seems to me you're esagerating. This I'm proposing is a
simple option that solves what seems to me a relevant usability
issue; I wouldn't call it a mod/extension but rather a small (tiny?)
fix.

I'm sorry you're seeing it as a potential danger to the integrity of
the project rather than as a possible enhancement. I won't insist
anymore: if you decide to implement it, great, otherwhise I'll move on
trying to implement it myself or just ctrl + o and ls -lh when I need
to.

Renato