Re: Mc Digest, Vol 52, Issue 7

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, MK wrote:

To: mc gnome org
From: MK <halfcountplus intergate com>
Subject: Re: Mc Digest, Vol 52, Issue 7

chris glur asked:
What's 'virtual viewport' ?
I liked fvwm2 but as time goes on I've found extra utility from KDE.

You would have a couple of lines in xorg.conf like these
Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device     "Videocard0"
      DefaultDepth     24
      SubSection "Display"
              Virtual 1600 1200 <-
              Viewport  0 0             <-
              Depth     24
      EndSubSection
EndSection

Meaning my desktop is bigger than my physical screen (which is 1200 x 768), and you slide around. For some reason the big new suites like gnome and KDE won't permit it. I can't stand anything that doesn't rely on pure text file configuration.

This is one of my favourite features on KDE.

Currently on Fedora 8 I have the following virtual viewport setup:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
  SubSection "Display"
    Viewport   0 0
    Depth     24
    Virtual 800 1800
  EndSubSection
EndSection

The above settings give me a virtual screen size that is almost 3 times the height of my display's physical size.

This means I can resize my browser windows or PDF viewers to give me a window that will almost completely fill my monitor with a document that does not take up screen real estate with menu bars along the top or bottom of the screen.

Installing Fedora 9 and KDE will not allow me to setup a virtual viewport at all. I find this really restricting.

Is there some workaround to continue to use virtual viewports on KDE, or can I use another desktop application that still supports using KDE apps and the virtual viewport definitions I have setup?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

PS: It appears that KDE seems to send to the swap partition the desktops that are not in focus. So this means that the active desktop is the one that gets swapped back into computer RAM.

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

The mind of the prudent is ever getting knowledge, and the
eear of the wise is ever seeking, inquiring for and craving
knowledge. Pr. 18:15 Amp

TMDA [http://tmda.net]