Re: Getting ready for a release

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:41:00 +0200
Von: wwp
An: mc gnome org
Betreff: Re: Getting ready for a release

Hello Egmont,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:16:44 +0200 Egmont Koblinger <egmont uhulinux hu>
wrote:

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 03:20:10PM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

Lack of UTF-8 support is a big minus on the part of MC, but I think
that
your statement is a bit overestimated. It's more like MC is not
following the latest trend, IMO.

I wouldn't call it 'trend'. Having splash screens, animated widgets,
translucent windows, using ajax on the web, blogging etc etc etc. are
trends. UTF-8 is the one and only known and sane way of handling all the
non-english scripts, hence it's a technical decision. Moreover, mc not
supporting UTF-8 doesn't just mean "it doesn't follow trends", it means
it's
not _working_ correctly in most Linux systems - and that's more serious.

As said, modern distros use UTF-8. If you switch back to an 8-bit locale
just for mc, you'll have troubles with your text files' content, with
filenames etc. - mc will not be compatible with all the other apps. If
you
switch back globally for your system, you'll only be able to use a very
small subset of non-English letters, and you'll still have problems
(e.g.
when editing .desktop files, using Gtk2 file browser windows etc).

If you think of it from a user's point of view, this whole story is
simply
about "just works" vs. anything else. Obviously vast majority of the
users
want applications and accented/CJK/etc letters to "just work".

I'd second that, and I'm talking as an IT professional as well as a
personal user. UTF-8 is maybe a PITA from a programmer (and sometimes
even a user) point of view, but it sounds hard to avoid it nowadays,
unless you don't care about many languages. Maybe we would have had the
same discussion when color has appeared in terminals (even if I think
that UTF-8 is a new dimension that brings more than color, sometimes)?

How many different languages do you actually use in your day to day work ?
There is no need to educate me on the positive effect of having UTF-8.
I understand pretty well that it is a very useful thing to have UTF-8 support, but IMO Egmont statement was a
bit exaggarated. Something
like ... "Wow, now we can read/write documents in other languages" or at least I got it that way.

Anyway, UTF-8 is important but it is obvious that it is not going to happen in October. It would become my
priority once we have a release.