filename completion

Hello,

I have read FAQ section 6.  However it has not helped my understanding
of filename completion.

Filename completion is normally performed by pressing the tab button
on Linux.  The FAQ says

6.3 How can I complete commands, file names, variable names and so on?

   Just press M-Tab.  Press M-Tab again to get a listbox if there are
   multiple possible completions.

Pressing the tab key at all just transfers control to a different
panel within mc.  When typing 'cd' on the command line part of the mc
dispaly, I want to be able to use command completion etc just as if I
were not using mc.

How can I do this?

--
Regards