Re: Gvim as editor

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Guido Milanese wrote:

I am a new listmember, but I have been using mc for ages.. I have a little
problem. I would like to bind 'F4' (editor) to gvim. I have edited
the 'bindings' file as follows:

# Text document
regex/\.(txt|TXT|Txt)$
       Open=(gvim %f >/dev/null 2>&1 &)

but gvim is not called, and F4 calls vim in console mode, which is very useful
but I prefer the 'X' version. If I call gvim manually on a file (using '@')
it's all right.

From mc's man page:

[...]
     Press F4 to edit the highlighted file.  Press  F14  (usually
     Shift-F4)  to  start  the  editor  with  a  new, empty file.
     Currently they invoke the vi editor, or the editor specified
     in  the  EDITOR  environment  variable, or the Internal File
     Editor if the use_internal_edit option is on.
[...]

The changes that you've made to your bindings file only affect
the behaviour of MC when "Enter" is pressed on a file ending
in the specified extension.