mc hangs during FTP sessions

Hi!

This is not really a question since I managed to solve the issue (while
writing the post of course ;) - I just hope it might help someone else too.

I was having huge problems with mc for the last half of year or so. When I
would be uploading or downloading something from FTP or just merely browsing
through directories the whole mc would freeze and all I could do was to kill
it. It has been happening all the time (after a few minutes of work usually)
with all FTP connections.
I have searched the internet for a possible cause but couldn't find it... And
I just thought that sooner or later a release would come that would solve my
problems.

Well, now it froze one too many times and I started writing a mail to this
mailing list when it occured to me - why not try the popular M$ Windows
trick? So I reinstalled mc (# dpkg --remove mc; apt-get install mc) and it
didn't work. Then I moved my ~/.mc/ to another directory and completely
reinstalled mc (# dpkg --purge mc; apt-get install mc) - AND IT
WORKS!!!! :) :)

I am just mad at myself for not using such a simple trick half a year ago... I
almost lost my nerves with filezilla (not a bad ftp program, just sooooo
inconvenient to use compared to midnight commander).

Anyway, that's it... if someone is interested in my ~/.mc/* (except for
hotlist of course ;) for bug hunting please send me a mail since I won't be
on this list anymore...

Just thought I'd share. Hope it helps someone.

Best,

Anze