Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Paul Reeves wrote:

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 09:42, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
Someone was complaining about the same issue recently. I think
he/she was experiencing this long delay on a FreeBSD system. Can
you give us more details about the system on which you run MC and
see the long delay ? The output of "mc -V" would be usefull too.

This issue is easily reproducible by anyone with a sourceforge account.
Just ssh in and type mc. It will take around 3 minutes to load.

Hmm. Are you sure that it is the same issue ? I see your MC is pretty old.
There was a certain slowdown issue in the past which would manifest itself when MC was running on systems with large password/group database. Maybe
this is the reason for the slowdown you see on sourceforge. In any case
I don't have a sourceforge account and I can't verify myself.

Here is the output of mc -V in an sf ssh shell:

GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0

That's too old.

Here is the output of top:

[...]

strace output would be appreciate. The output of top doesn't help much.
Event better - if you can use a debugger on sf - just attach to the
process and see where it hangs.