Re: archives vfs problem - SOLVED

Hello,

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Iain Mac Donald wrote:

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 21:15 +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
--- UrsprÃngliche Nachricht ---

Found the answer to this one. I didn't have gcc installed on this
machine as soon as I did the problem went away.

This quite unlikely.

Installing gcc (and its dependencies - cpp - which I needed for my java
installation) cured the problem. Though as I didn't run typescript with
the installation I don't know precisely what part did it. On server2
(which I did 20 minutes later) exactly the same symptom and "cure". Both
machines had a old testing to stable Debian Sarge install.

Rolling back the package installation doesn't revert MC to the previous
behaviour.

I suppose gcc has dependencies on the `file' package and it got
installed when you installed gcc. There is also the possibility
that your PATH was not set properly prior to the installation of
gcc and when you installed gcc it got fixed... but this is quite
unlikely too. Anyway, just for the record, MC does not require
gcc to run properly.