Re: dependency problem installing MC in Redhat 9.0

Hi Alejandro,

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 03:21, Alejandro Lengua - Virtual Orbis wrote:
I am having a hard time trying to install midnight commander
(mc-4.6.0-2.i386.rpm), actually my only dependency left is
libslang.so.1 ....

Why are you complicating your life? Red Hat Linux 9.0 comes with an mc
rpm as well as the correct slang version. Don't use --nodeps if you
don't know what you are doing. And where does that rpm come from?

If you want to upgrade mc on RHL 9.0 you should start out with the
existing srpm and adjust that. Most of the patches from that srpm can be
dropped if you work with CVS as they are committed. You might want to
preserve the utf8 patch. Even easier is to wait until tomorrow and get
the latest srpm for Fedora Core 3 (test 3), which will be featuring
fixes to the utf8 patches. rpmbuild --rebuild mc-4.6.1-<version>.src.rpm
on RHL 9.0 should render a perfectly usable rpm.

Leonard.