Re: Tilde expansion in 'in Quick cd' gone ?

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

On Linux I have a binary from almost a month ago, so it may
have changed, but I noticed tilde expansion only works with the
Cygwin binary, which is from 20030721.

I can't believe it has been removed. Now I have to type
/home/fredlwm in 'Quick cd'. Any good reason ?

Tilde expansion was embedded in VFS, which was a wrong place.  Tilde
expansion didn't work if mc was compiled without VFS support.  Also, it
was impossible to descend to directories containing the tilde in the name
because VFS would expand it even if the tilde came from the directory
listing, not from the user input.

Restoring tilde expansion is one of the two remaining items in the TODO
list for 4.6.1 release.

The problem is that there are many places when the user can enter the
filename.  input_dialog() should be replaced with input_expand_dialog()
when appropriate.  But "quick cd" is not a standard input dialog, so
either it should be converted, or tilde_expand() should be added to it.

Maybe tilde_expand() should be added to quick dialogs.  Input fields with
value 2 (this constant really should have a name) are already using
directory completion.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin