Re: subshell bug?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Pavel Roskin wrote:

When starting mc (from xterm/rxvt) it hangs for several (>10)
seconds.
[...]
10 seconds probably comes from feed_subshell() in src/subshell.c:

    /* we wait up to 10 seconds if fail_on_error, forever otherwise */
    wtime.tv_sec = 10;
    wtime.tv_usec = 0;

Good guess :)  I just grabbed the sources, set the value to 3,
recompiled and the delay was cut down to 3 seconds.

More information is needed to fix it.

Sorry, I forgot. Here it is:

  $ ./mc -V
  GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
  Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
  With builtin Editor
  Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
  With subshell support as default
  With support for background operations
  With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
  With support for X11 events
  With internationalization support

  $ bash --version
  GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i486-slackware-linux-gnu)

  $ /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -v
  XFree86 4.2.99.903(174)

  $ rxvt -h
  Rxvt v2.7.10

  $ uname -a
  Linux moo 2.4.22 #6 Tue Sep 2 17:43:01 PDT 2003 i686 unknown unknown
  GNU/Linux

  $ ls -l /dev/tty
  crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty      /dev/tty

  $ ls -l `echo $SHELL`
  -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     bin      /bin/bash*

  $ ls -l `which bash`
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root     /usr/bin/bash -> /bin/bash*

Further on:
The delay doesn't occur when running mc from the console. Only when
running it from X (xterm/rxvt).

The error only occurs when running mc as user.  When opening an
xterm as root (xterm -e su) and running mc in it, there is no
delay.