MC problem in RH8.0 (Follow-on)

I'm following on to an earlier message sent about the slowdown of MC in
RedHat 8.0.  I have seen this issue as well when changing directories that
are nested deep in the tree.  The version that comes with RedHat 8.0 is
4.55.  But I have also compiled 4.60-pre1 under RH 8.0 with the same
results.  I've also installed the 4.55 version shipped with RedHat 7.3 with
the same results.

The slowdown a is noticibly dramatic change from RH 7.3 to RH 8.0.  It feels
like it's griding to a halt when changing directories (even ones with no
files in it), but not the type of delay associated with sorting a directory
with 1000s of files in it.

This change directory slowdown occurs both when tabbing from one window to
the other, but changing directories from within the same window, and
changing directories from the command line with the cd / command.  To me
this points to a problem with a RH 8.0 library somewhere mc is linking to.
But this is purely speculation.

David C. Maurer
CPE System Validation
Intel Corporation
Mailstop: CH7-308
Phone: (480) 554-2844
e-mail:  <mailto:david c maurer intel com>
Text Pager: <mailto:7243039350 PageBB com>
BlackBerry PIN#:  15780793