editing a file - colour problem

Hi

When I edit a file (F4) within mc, I expect a screen displayig the file
contents to open up, with text ona  blue background. At least, this is what
happens on a RH6.1 box.

But on my newer RH7.1 system, only the text has a blue background... the
rest is black. And this effect persists when I end the edit and return to
the main screen.

I'm very much a newbie (how can anyone my age be a midnight commander
newbie?) so I don'treally know how to diagnose and solve this.

So any help gratefully received!

Cheers

Bill