[no subject]

Finally: When I select "edit MIME types", nothing happens. do I have to
set some path or the like? Hence gmc won't care about mimes, each time I
for example double click an mp3 it asks me with which app to open it.
In the end this comes down to no mimes at all in gmc.

There are two problems here - the MIME editor that gmc is trying to run is
missing and gmc doesn't report the failure.

I guess (well, I know I shouldn't be guessing but I have time to
"interrogate" you) that you are running GNOME 1.4.  It has a separate MIME
editor in the control panel, which is not compatible with gmc.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin