Re: re: mc dav dev

Hi!

It would be nice to develop a framework that would allow the same code to
be used either as a user-space filesystem for the kernel (like Sharity
Light) or as anapplication-level VFS, like GNOME VFS.  Perhaps GNOME VFS
could provide kernel interface at some point.

Hmm, this is done with gnome libvfs. It is called uservfs(.sf.net)
these days (used to be called podfuk).

I remember visiting the podfuk page before, but at that time I was
assuming that it's done on the shared library level, not on the kernel
level.

No, its kernel level. I could also make it nfs server ;-), then it
would be even portable.

Yep. gnome vfs is not multithreaded and that's bad. Someone should

1) clean gnome vfs up

2) rewrite mc to use gnome vfs.

3) rewrite uservfs to use gnome vfs (if I understand it correctly).

Yep.

Sounds like a plan.  I'm ready to use gnome vfs in mc.  My only concern
is portability and complexity of the build.  I'm not familiar with gnome
vfs, but I believe that it's using glib-1.3.x, and glib-1.3.x uses
pkgconfig, which is a binary, not a script.

However I probably do not have to make this reality :-(.
                                                                        Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa