FreeBSD installation

I have a FreeBSD 4.7 Operating system.
When I first installed mc, with sysinstall the following warning message
appeared on the screen:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libslang.so: Undefined symbol "log"
Then I removed and reinstalled the whole program, but the same error
message cought my eyes again and again.
Some people at the FreeBSD mailing list said that I should install it with
make install and download the source code from the mc website.
I downloaded then copied the file and I sent the make install command.
At the end again an error message appeared:
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target '../slang/libmcslang.a', needed
by 'mc'.
top.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/misc/mc/work/mc-4.5.55/src'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/misc/mc/work/mc-4.5.55'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/misc/mc.
Do you have any guess how I make mc work on my BSD.