Re: Nasty MC bugs still not fixed

Hi, Pavel!

    3) while copying large amount of files (>4GB), the size progress
  bar everytimes == 0%

I could not reproduce it on RedHat Linux 7.1 (i386) with the CVS version
of MC.

Note that --enable-largefile is default in CVS, but not in 4.5.55.  You
shouldn't expect MC compiled without large (64-bit) file support to work
correctly with large files.

Try disabling largefile and _then_ copying eight 1Gig files. That
is what he is talking about. [Not that I tried to reproduce this bug
-- I do not have 4GB of diskspace

I see.  Actually, MC uses "double" in some places where the file sizes are
added together, e.g. in the status bar, when files are selected.

However, I think that using "off_t" would be more appropriate than
"double":

1) Large file support will be default soon.  The only reason why it wasn't
default in 4.5.55 is because VFS uses field names such as "stat", and
Solaris uses "#define stat stat64" somewhere in the headers if the large
file support is enabled.  I'm going to fix this problem before 4.6.

2) 64-bit integer arithmetics is faster than floating point on 32-bit
machines (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, let me repeat - you don't need 4G of free space to create a 4G
long file.  Use "seek" option in "dd":

dd if=/dev/null of=bigfile bs=1M seek=4096

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin