[no subject]

Changes in 2.2.2
6). libsmbclient stand-alone code added. Can be built as a shared library
under Linux.

The list of the functions the library implements is as follows:
int smbc_init(smbc_get_auth_data_fn fn, int debug);
int smbc_open(const char *furl, int flags, mode_t mode);
int smbc_creat(const char *furl, mode_t mode);
ssize_t smbc_read(int fd, void *buf, size_t bufsize);
ssize_t smbc_write(int fd, void *buf, size_t bufsize);
off_t smbc_lseek(int fd, off_t offset, int whence);
int smbc_close(int fd);
int smbc_unlink(const char *furl);

All this looks good.  The library doesn't attempt to override standard
libc routines (open, read, write) but defines its names instead.

The existing smbfs implimentation uses names beginning with "cli_"
(cli_read, cli_write) but it's basically the standard libc-like functions,
so it should be easy to support the libsmbclient library.

the first obstacle to make proper smbfs support for mc disappeared then (I
looked at the one in the mc's sources, and searched the mc's archives to get
an idea of the level of "hackery" you've been talking about).

Yes.  We don't have to wait until libsmbclient becomes widespread.  MC can
make it happen.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin