Re: Fwd: Try to wrap Midnight Commander in Rust

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:

Why building rust code in mc at all ?

Do you wanna rewrite mc in rust ? Then you'd better start completely afresh. (and give it a different name).

He did give it a different (working) name - mc-rs - he's published his experiment on his own GitHub account and has invited anyone who is interested to contribute. All fine by me...

Since the original post contained questions about compiler warnings pertaining to the mc source code, I have forwarded it to this list, where it was quickly and helpfully answered.

If you have important opinions to share on Rust, please find a different forum for this though. But before you do, I'd urge you to rethink whether this is necessary in the first place...

Vitold is like anyone else entitled to use his time however he wants, and if he set out to rewrite mc in Rust, it's up to him to decide whether he should do it incrementally or by starting from scratch.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev