How screen content saving handled in xterm case?

Hello,

Yesterday I spent couple of hours trying to trace how shell screen
content is working in case of xterm terminal. While handling in case of
linux console is very visible, and otherwise there're some checks for
xterm/rxvt stuff, but I couldn't find exact escape sequence(s)/exact
place where saving is done in case of xterm.

I also tried to approach it from the other side, by looking at xterm
escape sequences docs, http://www.xfree86.org/current/ctlseqs.html ,
and neither could find something which is clearly usable for screen
saving, like command "read char/rect".

So, any hints how that magic is done? What I'm trying to do is to
figure out why Android terminal emulators don't save screen content
with mc.

Thanks,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml gmail com