Easy renaming of files

Hi,

when I hit F6 to rename a file the “to:” field is pre-populated with
the path of the other panel. That's handy if you want to move files,
but annoying if you want to rename the file and the renaming just
adds an extension or removes two characters at the beginning of a
50-character file name. If I start typing I have to retype the
entire file name.

Is there an easier way to rename files, for instance a shortcut to
pre-populate the field with the current file name?

Marco