autogen.sh fails, archive.tar.gz not found

Hi,

I'm trying to build mc. Running ./autogen.sh fails with

maint/autopoint: 421: maint/autopoint: cannot open /usr/share/gettext/archive.tar.gz: No such file

True, there is no archive.tar.gz in that directory. I was unable to
find this file in any package provided by Debian. The gettext
package is installed and there is no gettext-dev that could be
missing. I did not try to build gettext since it's already
installed.

Is archive.tar.gz really necessary to build mc? If yes, where do I
get this file from?

Marco