Re: optimising "change CWD" algorithm in subshell mode

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 11:34:58AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> For example if current working directory is /1/2/3/4/5 and we want to
> change to /1/2/3/4/5/6 MC sends "cd /1/2/3/4/5/6" to bash when in
> reality one would likely to use "cd ./6" as long as it is just one hop
> away from current directory.
>
> Is it feasible?

i don't like it for two reasons:
- using an absolute path is an easy error recovery. mc gets confused
  often enough by errors while changing cwd (especially since shell
  activity detection was so utterly screwed up). not being able to just
  hit <enter> twice to recover would be a major PITA.
- this is fixing the problem at the wrong place, aka a workaround. there
  is no way in hell that simple processing of a string with a few tens
  of utf8 characters could legitimately require billions of cpu cycles.
  my suspicion is that some utterly inefficient shell functions are
  being invoked via $PS1 or so - that would also explain why there are
  problems reproducing it.