Re: utf8 and mc

On Thursday 25 June 2009 11:12:08 Kevin Wilson wrote:

Hi, Kevin

> Hello,  mc developers list,
>
> I saw that in http://www.midnight-commander.org/downloads/ that there is
> a patch for utf8 support for mc; it is mc-4.6.2-utf8.patch.gz.
> Now, I downloaded the mc-4.6.2.tar.gz and build it; can somebody advice
> how to apply the patch ? I am a newbie about patches. When opening the
> mc-4.6.2-utf8.patch.gz, I get two folders: one is PATCH-CREATE and one
> is a. I am not sure what does this mean.  Each folder contains some
> *.diff files.

You see this stuff inside gz because of vfs of mc. This is not that you need to
patch sources. Here is the steps you need to apply the patch:

1. gunzip ./mc-4.6.2-utf8.patch.gz
2. move to the folder with mc sources
3. patch -p0 ./mc-4.6.2-utf8.patch
4. build the sources
P.S. don't forget to use --enable-charset at configure stage and then use
Options/Display bits... to select UTF8.

> I also saw that there is a git repository for the utf8.
> If somebody can tell me what the URL for downloading this utf8 git
> repository it could be helpful (namely, what should I add to "git clone
> ...." so that I will download the utf8 branch) ?

This UTF8 version is not supported for current time, because we have a new
one. It will be much better if you will use master branch till we release 4.7
version (upcoming soon). No we are planing to release  4.7-pre1 in the nearest
future.