Re: Further Midnight Commander development

Hello Slava,

You might not be aware but I am (still) one of the two official MC
maintainers.

Thursday, December 18, 2008, 2:23:07 AM, you wrote:

> Hello, dear developers! It is no secret that the recent console manager
> Midnight Commander stopped in its development. We do not know the
> reasons why this is happening, but we badly want to see its further
> development. In fact, the Midnight Commander is developing further, but
> distributions in the form of patches, for each distribution its own set
> of patches. In fact, there are many versions of modern MS for each
> distribution.

Please, cool down a bit. The various distributions usually have a set
of patches to MC but the most important one is the UTF-8 patch. The
rest are usually of much lesser interest.

> Our team was formed recently, we have only just begun working on
> Midnight Commander, we have yet to be established, the relationship
> within the team have formed. But we are striving to become a team, which
> will be beneficial to all fans MC (a lot of them). Already, we have
> created assembly, which could satisfy both users of Debian/Ubuntu,
> FreeBSD and Gentoo, and users of Red Hat Linux distributions, Open Suse,
> MandRiva etc.

> You may have to apologize already issued release mc-4.6.3 (actually, we
> do not have the right to publish under that name). It is better to ask
> forgiveness than permission..  :)

You should have done it the proper way by trying to communicate your
changes with official MC instead of making a yet another fork. You
team has just formed and no one knows for how long it will last, nor
what your aims are. Many like you have appeared in the past and soon
lost interest in their own creation. If you are unaware of that fact
you might want to check the archives.

> We are a young team, we ask that you permit the continued development of
> Midnight Commander it was under this name. Also, please refer to us the
> files CVS repository for the preservation of history and development of
> the names of all people, ever participated in the development mc. We
> understand that this may be shocking request, but nevertheless, we hope
> to receive any response - if the answer is we simply will Forque, which
> we hope will develop further. We want to see MC very comfortable and
> pleasant, not as it is now.

Please, try to follow the traditional way of doing things. If you
really want to become a MC developer, be so kind, to do it the proper
way which means post your changes to the mailing list, discuss issues
and so on. You don't become a project member and developer by just
waiting for the "right" moment, appearing on the scene and taking over
of everything.

Best regards,
Pavel Tsekov