Re: Request for discussion - how to make MC unicode capable

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Pavel Roskin wrote:

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 14:57 +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

In case of Unicode, the new concept is distinction between bytes and
characters.  Many functions need to be checked that they don't mix them.
It's totally impractical to write a preprocessor conditional every time
something is changed.  It's better to change to code for Unicode support
and then think how to provide backward compatibility for the whole
source tree with minimal changes throughout the code.

That's what I did with dialog: the largest change was to make editing
of a multibyte/multicolumn string work properly.  In doing that, I added
useful functions that could be reused to make forms line up, etc.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net