Re: incorrect hex number in editor

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:09:01AM +0300, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

> I updated to 4.6.1a-26.fc5 and the problem is still here.

> > > attached file is 0xC3 0xBC 0xC5 0xAB (you can check with
> > > any hex editor or mc viewer in hex mode), but editor
> > > shows it (in the last column of the first line) as
> > > 0x106 0xBC 0xC5 0xAB.
> > >
> > > Latest mc from FC5 (2006-06-30-18).

Fedora is using mc with the UTF-8 patches, and provides a full UTF-8
environment, right?

Then the file you described above should display as 2 characters, a
LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
followed by a
LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH MACRON

Hence the expected hex codes in the upper right corner of mcedit are
0xFC and 0x16B. This is different from what you expect, and different from
what you see, too.

mcedit is a text editor, whereas the word "text" nowadays usually refers to
UTF-8 encoding. Hence with the UTF-8 mc patches it is no longer a binary/hex
editor.

Or am I wrong?

--
Egmont