Re: Inconsistent behaviour of Options

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:31:27PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 23:14 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 13:48 +0100, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > > 1. "Ok" sets the parameters only for the current session and won't
> > > touch the ini file.
> >
> > "Ok" is equivalent to "save" if "auto save setup" is set.
>
> ... and if you exit from mc rather than e.g. close the xterm window.

just closing xterm is generally a stupid idea. and forgetting it at
session exit ... my wish for supporting xsmp still stands.

> And if you don't have another mc running that would overwrite those
> settings if you exit from it properly.

KConfig rescans the config and merges the changes into the just read
config on saving. i think it wouldn't be that hard to implement in mc,
too. of course this doesn't help with conflicting changes, but that's
obvious and part of the "mental model".

> I think that "auto save setup" is something that cannot be implemented
> reliably in mc unless you make "Ok" work exactly like "Save" and save
> changes immediately.

this is what both kde and gnome do, so i think it's safe to assume it is
a reasonable approach.

as far as remembering the last directory is concerned: that's sort of
poor man's session management, not option management. it's basically the
same as remembering the last position in the viewer and editor. i.e.,
there should be a separate option for enabling it.