Re: utf8 patch for mc, slang 2 version

Hi,

> >> BTW: anyone is working on UFT-8 support for ncurses(w) backend ?
> >
> > I don't think so, and I don't think it is worth it. Maintaining two backends
> > IMHO just causes headaches while it doesn't make mc better. I still can't
> > see why developers do not decide which one to use and drop the other one.
>
> Maybe compatibility with older UN*Xes with curses but no slang?

Asking these sysadmins to install slang (or compile mc to its bundled slang)
is IMHO easier than to do double work in mc.

> Last time I played with it ncursesw (but not plain ncurses) handled UTF-8
> just fine.
>
> e.g. you can pass a UTF-8 encoded string to addstr(), and provided the
> locale is set correctly, ncursesw will compute its width correctly. It is
> *also* possible to use addwstr() with UCS-4, but not compulsory.

It's clear now, thanks!

Anyway, there are plenty of apps (e.g. vim, joe) that perfectly support
UTF-8 and use ncurses (not the w version). I wonder how it is possible...

--
Egmont