Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

Hello Pavel,

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 15:52 +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> > load_interfaces() is doing gethostbyname() for every single value of the
> > "interfaces" parameter of smb.conf. If interfaces doesn't contain an
> > ip_address/netmask pair load_interfaces() tries to resolve the value
> > via gethostbyname() :(

Are you referring to interpret_addr()? I'd say the case where the
interface is identified by a name is a bit of a corner case.

> Another solution would be to delay the samba lib initialization until the
> first samba request. This way it will be clearly visible for the user that
> the hang is due to a samba request. Of course the initialization must be
> made interruptable.
>
> Opinions ?

I don't have any fundamental objections against delaying the
initialization of smbfs, but is it really worth the effort? Don't you
think we catch most cases with making the call to Get_Hostbyname() in
get_myname() conditional?

Leonard.