Re: file coloring

Hello!

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 19:01 +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Kisel Jan wrote:
>
> > Good day!
> >
> > I suggest you mc patch to apply file-coloring scheme based on file name
> > pattern.
>
> So far none of the file highlighting patches submitted to the list was
> accepted (considered). The reasons differ - incomplete patches, the author
> doesn't want to change his/her patch and finally the MC maintainer thinks
> that this feature is not worth adding. I think we should decide whether
> this is indeed an useful feature or whether patches addressing file
> highlighting should be rejected.

I'm not against file highlighting.  In fact, mc is already highlighting
"core" files by their name.  It would be better for this facility to be
configurable rather than hardcoded.  It's also important that the
configuration file is not limited to DOS-style extensions.  I think
shell globs would be fine, so that one could define a color for core.*
or *.tar.* or something like that.

It would be nice to highlight directories as well.  Perhaps "CVS",
".svn", ".git" and similar special directories should have a distinctive
color.

> You might want to read the thread below:
>
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc/2002-October/msg00110.html

I'm a bit overreacted here about mp3's.  I think the best approach would
be not to try to highlight non-technical stuff by default, at least not
until mc supports 256 colors.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin