Re: Slower viewer [was Re: Shall we have a release?]

Hi Roland, list,

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 06:35 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> You should try mc-4.6.1 then. It gets you to the end immediately. Note
> that we had a long time where mc-4.6.1 had already been branched, but I
> had rewritten the viewer in -HEAD.

Slight mistake on my behalf. Although the tested rpm was older than
4.6.1 it was a HEAD tarball. Indeed a plain 4.6.1 jumps to the end of
the file instantly.

Still you brought down the line cache load time from 60 to 4 seconds.
Less takes about 3 seconds to get to the end of the same file, which is
a little more than the time the old viewer takes to go to a line number
(F5) around the bottom of the file.

Once the file has been read in the new viewer goto works instantly. Note
that jumping back and forth to a line at the beginning and the end is
actually faster in the new viewer. Jumping back from a "far" line to a
"close" line in the old viewer is still instantaneous but jumping back
to the "far" line actually takes 2 1/2 seconds again! I also have the
impression the goto dialog is more sluggish in the old version.

All in all only the initial "End" seems to have regressed. For the rest
the new viewer actually behaves better than the one in 4.6.1.

Once again, is this something we should suspend a release over?

Leonard.