Re: Support for multi-byte charsets

Hello Andy, Pasha, mc-devel,

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 17:04 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> Pasha Zubkov wrote:
> > Does anybody srart working on support for mb charsets? Or it's any way
> > to work with mc in UTF-8 enabled systems?
> Please, consider megapatch from FC/RH mc src.rpm.
> As I know (may be mistake) Jindrich moves UTF-8 support.
> Big part was written by Vlsdimir Nadvornik (from SuSE, Chech).
>
> What about native support? I don't know and I query maintainers here
> abou that.

Yes, the UTF-8 support is planned to be included in mc-4.7.0 as far as
I'm having a look into the TODO list. Pasha, you can use benefits of the
UTF-8 patch in the Fedora Core mc. Even if it lacks a general concept,
the important thing for you is that it works pretty well and I'm happy
to see only a few bugreports related to UTF-8 patch coming recently from
FC users.

I was busy with my Ph.D. studies so I added some of fixes to the UTF-8
patch and only a few new features, so Jakub and Vladimir did the main
work on the UTF-8 patch. It needs to be rewritten completely to be
included to the upstream mc. Since I defended my Ph.D. last week, I plan
to do the reimplementation of it in order to be included upstream as I
have some time to spare. The main change would be likely to introduce
new utf8.c and utf8.h source files with definitions needed to avoid the
#ifdef UTF-8 hacks in the patch we have now. But it needs a discussion
with Roland, Leonard and other interested developers.

Cheers,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy redhat com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/

The worst evil in the world is refusal to think.