Fwd: New Maintainer for MC Project

Part 2 of 2

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Re: A new day for MC?
Date:     Thu, 26 May 2005 15:01:32 -0400
From:     Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org>
To:     Fudoki <fudoki bellsouth net>

Hello!

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 19:01 -0400, Fudoki wrote:
Dear Pavel,

   I am a longtime MC user and fan.  I am also the PR Coordinator for the "Krusader Krew".  We are the project that makes the Krusader File Manager, so we understand all the issues and concerns you raise, firsthand.  Been there, and are doing that.

1) >>>>>*****In reply to your suggestion that " If someone else can take the responsibility for the project and make a release, I'm fine with it"; the Krew has discussed your Project's current dilemma.

   All of us are MC users, and many of us use MC as much as we use our own Krusader (they have different areas of usefulness) - so we say this as not only as co-developers, but also as avid supporters, and loyal MC users: We would be willing to have a conversation with you, and your lead developers, about allowing your team to "find a home" in the Krusader Krew's project.*****<<<<<

I'm not sure you really understand the problem.  The problem is not with
hosting or "having a home".  The problem is that I don't have enough
time to deal with the project properly.  This problem exists since
January 2003.

I'm struggling to reply to all personal e-mail I'm getting regarding the
project.  Right now, there are about 20 e-mails to reply in my queue.

As for the mailing lists, there are hundreds e-mails I haven't seen
since the last prerelease.  This sort of defeats the purpose of
prerelease because the feedback gets ignored.

There are other developers doing some work, but I don't see anybody who
could take over the project.

Maybe we need more decentralization, but I don't think I could be the
leading maintainer even in this case unless working on mc becomes my
full-time job.

The project requires a lot of expertize.  Somehow I'm supposed to be
able to evaluate Python syntax highlighting or issues with Tamil
translation.  Or I need people whose judgment I can trust.  In any case,
I need to be able to be reachable almost every day, and it's something I
cannot promise.

I cannot see how your project can help here.

   We can make your infrastructure and marketing problems go away literally overnight, and provide an environment where your team can focus on their work in a supportive and positive environment.

Marketing problems?  What do you mean?  Maybe I just wasted my time
explaining you the real problem?

   Best of all, we are all about file management and developing innovative new ways to deal with file management, so your needs and challenges are already well understood by us.

 2)  >>>>>*****Trying to forge a new project from the old, as some have suggested on your forums would only introduce further problems and, by itself, solve none.  Yet some positive, affirmative, action must be taken for the good of all concerned.*****<<<<<

Let's stick to technical terms here.  What is "forge"?  Do you mean
rewriting the whole codebase or gradual cleaning of the existing code?

 3)  >>>>>*****If you feel that a "fresh start" would keep the MC Project viable, and facilitate the development process and morale of your team, let's talk.  I believe you will find we have a lot in common, and a lot to offer.*****<<<<<

Fresh start needs developers.  If you have developers, you don't need to
talk to me.  Just start coding and show me your existing code if you
want me in your team.

   We are deeply committed to the Open Source Movement, and would normally have posted this offer in open forum, but for several reasons, our leadership felt I should direct this offer to you first, to ensure fairness and as a courtesy.  Please understand that we are in no way being secretive or using "back channels".  It's just that no useful purpose would be served by putting you "on the spot"; we want to help, not "fuel the fire".

I'll appreciate if you post in mc-devel gnome org.  Please be more
detailed in your proposal.

   The Krew extends it's support, encouragement, and if it is desired and would be helpful, our material assistance to keep what we consider a very worthy and worthwhile program that we value and use alive for years to come.

I'm on H-1 visa in the USA until November 2005, and it doesn't allow me
to be paid by anyone except my employer.  You may be more successful
hiring other developers in the meantime.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin