Re: Problem while viewing rotated log files

Hello Oleg,

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 15:49, Oleg Tarasov wrote:
> There are 2 ways to implement this situation:
> 1) if [file] in [manpath-dirs] use groff
>    else use normal viewing
> 2) if [file] in [logfile-dirs] use normal viewing
>    else use groff
>
> Let's see. Most manpages are most commonly located in:
>
> /usr/share/man
> /usr/local/man
> ... (add here a couple of common dirs)
>
> Also, you can much harder evaluate common paths to log files as they
> are much more specific due to implementation of software and operation
> systems and their configuration.

By matching for */log/* or */logs/* most .[1-9] files are viewed using
groff. I consider this a good thing. Plus the user can override this,
but not the other way around. Only the files in */log/* or */logs/* are
viewed as plain text.

(In both scenario's a man page in /var/log would be viewed as plain text
so you don't loose anything there either.)

Viewing most .[1-9] files with groff and putting the exception on the
specific log file paths really seems the most sensible thing to do.

Leonard.