[bug #13648] 4.6.1-pre5: cons.saver on linux console

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: current (CVS or snapshot)
        Platform Version: GNU/Linux

Details:

As of 4.6.1-pre5, cons.saver acts as if the linux console was a "Dumb
Terminal" _even_if_it_is_SUID_root_ (I know that this is not recommended, but
it fixed the problem in previous versions - Slackware doesn't have a dedicated
user for /dev/vcsa*). My problem description originally sent to mc-devel[1] in
January outlines the current problem (the SUID root fix worked fine in
-pre4a):

--- BEGIN COPY/PASTE ---

3. Non-SUID cons.saver

When leaving cons.saver non-SUID, mc acts as if a local console login was a
"Dumb Terminal" (ie. I have to press Enter after each subshell command, the
subshell prompt disappears when pressing Ctrl-O three times in a row, etc.).

[zlatko disclosure]~$ echo $TERM
linux
[zlatko disclosure]~$ who am i
zlatko   tty1        Jan  9 19:16
[zlatko disclosure]~$ ls -l /dev/tty1
crw--w----  1 zlatko tty 4, 1 2005-01-15 14:56 /dev/tty1

This does not happen in an xterm, although the tty permissions are the same:

[zlatko disclosure]:~$ echo $TERM
xterm
[zlatko disclosure]:~$ who am i
zlatko   pts/13       Jan 15 15:03
[zlatko disclosure]:~$ ls -l /dev/pts/13
crw--w----  1 zlatko tty 136, 13 2005-01-15 15:03 /dev/pts/13

Setting cons.saver to be SUID root fixes the problem. Again, this is also not
a big problem, but merely a minor annoyance.

--- END COPY/PASTE ---

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc-devel/2005-January/msg00020.html

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=13648>

  Message sent via/by Savannah