Re: What about the next release ?

Hello,

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 18:01 +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> > I think we should have at least one more iteration based on 4.6.1 before
> > we can release from head. At the end it has all kind if problems -
> > ranging from minor glitches to more serious problems.
>
> Tell me about the serious issues you've encountered. I'm not against
> making a new branch based on 4.6.1 per se, but the effort of backporting
> makes it not my first choice.

Well, for starters the viewer is still unstable. The background support
is broken (of course this is not a regression). New features are
introduced and as we see they break other things. I cannot give you a
list of problems right now but if it need be I'll start keeping track of
problems posted on the list and problems that I encounter.

It is not necessary to create a new branch. 4.6.1 should be fine - it just
has to be kept current. We can relase both from HEAD and 4.6.x too - just
a thought.

> > The point I am trying to make here is that we have to keep the 4.6.1
> > branch in good shape by backporting important fixes and features.
>
> Depends on when you want a next release. Feature freeze an bug stamping
> should fix most issues, don't you think?

I want a new release not so far in the distant feature - in 1 or 2 months.
I have concerns that HEAD is not ready for the public - of course this
might be just me.

> > > We could maintain 4.6.1 with security related patches only and release
> > > those as 4.6.1.1 etc.
> >
> > That's ugly.
>
> What would be a more beautiful solution IYO? 4.6.1-pl1?

4.6.2. HEAD is much more then 4.6.1 -> 4.6.2, IMHO