Re: TODO: Large tgzs, how and what?

Hello,

> > 1. See #229773: mc: I can't edit a file in ftp server
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229773&repeatmerged=no
> > This can lead to data loss if somebody edit file over VFS with external editor.
>
> If I am not mistaken this issue is on the TODO for 4.6.2:
>
> "Filters in the editor should operate on the open file - don't close and
> reopen the file.  They don't work on VFS now.  For example, a gzipped
> files on FTP cannot be edited."
>
> Or is this a different issue? If not, are you suggesting we move this to
> 4.6.1?

This is a different issue.  You can edit plain files but your changes will be lost.
Testcase is simple
1. Set EDITOR environment variable to your favorite editor.
2. Start mc
3. F9/Configuration... and unset "use internal edIt".
4. Edit any file plain text file via ftpfs/smbfs and save your changes.
5. Close editor and try to find your changes.

> > 2. #228934: #utar archive content viewer missing files
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=228934&repeatmerged=no &&
> > #205073: unzip silently skips some files in archive
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=205073&repeatmerged=no
> > have the same root.
>
> I'll look into this. Do you suggest this as a todo for 4.6.2 or 4.6.1?

I preffer 4.6.1 because this issue was introduced in 4.6.0.

> > There are some significant details in our BTS to understand this bug.
>
> Speaking of "your" BTS (I assume you are speaking of Debian, are you
> Debian's mc maintainer?), I submitted the VFS system/open patch, but
> haven't heard anything, even after mailing "alpha" directly. Whazzup?

I mean MC's BTS.  I just monitor a Debian BTS for mc's related bugs.
There is a good email interface ;-)

--
Regards,
Andrew V. Samoilov.