Re: tilde_expand

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:07:42PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> "The  return value may point to static area, and may be overwritten by
> subsequent calls."
>
> This obviously is an indication, but I am somewhat confused by the "may"
> in "may point to static area". What "may"? Is this implementation
> specific? Based on build options?

yeah, linux man pages suck. the bsd ones are often much clearer about
such things ... whatever.
this memory is in fact reallocated dynamically if the previous chunk
turns out to be too small, but this happens transparently to the apps -
they should consider the data static (and consequently valid only till
the next call of this function).