Re: mc-4.6.1 release?

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Roland Illig wrote:

I would like mc-4.6.1 to be released soon. The broken pipe issue won't get away in the next few days, so there's no reason to wait for it. I have a still uncommitted patch which fixes the error message to be not as cryptic as before.

http://www.schlechte-software.de/pub/mc-patches/mcview-sigpipe.patch

It's unfortunate because it will be perceived as a regression, even though the code in 4.6.0 was incorrect.

After the release I would like to have an "unstable" branch where I (and everyone else) may put his favourite patches. From there we can commit the patches to the "stable" branch as soon as they are considered stable. I think this will speed up development and make it more clear which patches have already been applied and which ones still have to be checked. But I don't dare to suggest this before the release of mc-4.6.1. ;)

OK, we need some testing before the release. maint/mctest gives some warnings on Fedora Core 2. From test-2.err:

../../vfs/mcserv.c: In function `mc_pam_auth':
../../vfs/mcserv.c:782: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type ../../vfs/mcserv.c:783: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type ../../src/cons.saver.c:52: warning: no previous prototype for `send_contents'
../../src/cons.saver.c:105: warning: no previous prototype for `die'

We also should test FreeBSD and Cygwin.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin