Re: extfs audio.in & hp48.in patch

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 12:19:22PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> [Offtopic:] Can you tell me a situation where you use $*?

i have a few scripts that i just pass a text that might be unquoted as
the last argument(s). in this case echo-ing $* makes sense. nothing i'd
suggest to somebody who doesn't know the quoting rules in and out ...

> >btw, the autoconf manual gives a good overview of shell
> >incompatibilites - for those of you who think one can't overdo
> >quoting.
>
> Well, I think that it is not easy to do overquoting the wrong way.

it can't be wrong per se as long as it is correct, obviously. but
problems arise with certain shells getting confused by deeper quoting
constructs.

> The approach that I like is to quote everything that I consider to be
> a string. This includes arguments to `case'.

otoh, more quotes means more chars to parse, making the code harder to
read for those who _do_ know the rules asleep. :)

------

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 12:00:02PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 07:57, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > # for i in "you $@ suck"; do echo $i; done
>
> You choose your examples carefully I see >:-/

yeah. :-)=)
well, actually, i only wanted to test it for myself and nothing better
came to my mind while i stared at the screen of my computer called ugly
(i'm weird, huh? :). later i decided to post it and was too lazy to
change it. :)