Re: glib2 dependency

Hi Roland,

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 23:40 +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Leonard suggested to use the g_shell_unquote(3) function, which is not
> available with glib-1.2. So we could either
>
> - add g_shell_quote and g_shell_unquote to glibcompat.c
> - don't support glib-1.2 anymore

> Do these words still apply, or can we drop support for glib-1.2?

I still see many people installing mc on stable, ie. old distributions
with glib-1.2 and no glib-2. And AFAIK it wouldn't be a big problem to
add g_shell_unquote to glibcompat.c. For that reason I think we should
still support glib-1.2 for a while and give the users some announcement
for eventual drop of glib-1.2 in README at least one release before the
planned removal of glibcompat.

Anyway I think it's an advantage for mc that it's installable almost
everywhere with minimal requirements. So I think to drop glib-1.2
support soon isn't very good from this point of view.

greetings,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy redhat com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/