Re: deb vfs security issue (CAN-2004-0494)

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 09:42, Andrew V. Samoilov wrote:
> > I see. copyin is passed unchecked parameters, but those are quotemeta'd
> > with myin. This seems to be the case in most opens, except one: copyout.
> > Are you sure 'open 0, "> $out";' is fine?
>
> Well `open O,  '>', $out` is more right and secure here.
> Patch attached.  Can you commit this one?

Please wait with committing this. As I am going through many of the
files in vfs/extfs it's probably better to wait for a comprehensive
patch that I intend to make. There are many more occurrences of the
above open syntax.

Why is the latter form more correct? If it is I am happy to change all
occurrences of the old form where I find them.

Leonard.