Re: Re[4]: security fix for temp files in cvs now

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:46:13PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> >      mc-4.6.0-pre3-nocpio.patch - itsn't good for main branch
>
> I thought it is, as it saves some time when digging into an rpm when you
> only want to look at the meta info. Also it unclutters the initial view,
> and actually the cpio part is redundant. When you show the cpio content
> directly you are mixing the contents of the cpio with the meta info,
> which I find unclean. And if you do there is no need to actually show
> the "file" CONTENTS.cpio which can then be entered again. Quite likely
> two identical temp files are created in that process. I know it is
> vendor specific patch, but I like this behaviour. Please reconsider.

The reason for this patch is mainly that without that patch people
tend to copy the files in rpm's main directory and not CONTENTS.cpio
out of the rpm.  And that is horribly slow, especially for large
rpms (as mc for each single file rpm2cpio's the whole rpm (which
means ungzipping or unbzip2ing the whole payload) and then runs
cpio again on the whole unpacked file.
When CONTENTS.cpio is entered, it is unpacked just once and given that
there is an internal cpio filesystem, even that unpacked file doesn't have
to be searched through all the time.

	Jakub