Re: mc 4.6.0 subshell fix for FreeBSD 5.x

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:38:40 -0400 (EDT) Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, subshell works when mc is launched by the regular user, but not
> > > when by root! Solaris 8 has the same problem.
> >
> > Maybe it's because root uses csh, which is unsupported?
>
> Yes. I later noticed that subshell works when mc is launched from sudo,
> so yes, it is a shell. Why csh is unsupported btw? Is it docummented?

csh doesn't have PROMPT_COMMAND or precmd functionality, i.e. it cannot
notify the parent that it has finished the command.

> Just checked, and found it in the FAQ. But when I first had this problem
> half a year ago I didn't think it could be dependant on the shell... It
> should probably be added to the hints, so that new users have more
> chance to notice it.

Actually, I don't think hints are very helpful.  Some users don't use
anything but bash, and this hint will be an annoyance for them.

Good software just works from the beginning.  Since the subshell
functionality is considered important, maybe mc should try supported
subshells before falling back to disabling subshell.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin