FTP question

This might turn out not to be a bug report,
but rather a configuration/feature question:

When using MC to uploading files to my webspace on the provider's server, I
get an error after each file. The bottom line is that MC wants to match the
rights on the provider-side to those on my machine.

The error goes like this:
"Cannot chmod target file ....... operation not permitted (1).

And I ask for "skip", to continue. Not nice when uploading lots of small
files, I have to stay at the keyboard.

I obviously can't change the rights on the provider's side, and will probably
never be allowed to do so.
Can MC be told not to try and set the rights, for ftp at least ?

My details:
Running SuSE 8.2 Pro distro, and "mc -V" reports the following:
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support

--
Werner Geuens